Monday, December 01, 2008

Into the Wild and Freedom Writers

Just watched two veryvery good movies today and coincidently both are inspired by true stories. Freedom Writers tells the story of different skin colours in the Room 230 of Wilson School and the teacher that brought them together with her methods was acted by Hilary Swank ( Million Dollar Baby and Boy's Don't Cry superduperaktress). Now she is amazing, and I meant both the real teacher who did it and Hilary Swank ofcourse.

Into the Wild which I think was directed by Sean Penn is a great story although quite draggy I must say (2 1/2 hrs !).
Let's start on Christopher Johnson McCandless who was an American wanderer who hiked into the Alaskan wilderness with little food and equipment, hoping to live a period of solitude. Nearly four months later, he died of starvation . I couldn't really understand what his trip was set out to be, he wasn't seeking for any answers. I felt he just wanted to be away. In other words, I felt he was trying to escape from reality, todays life.
His last words were "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODBYE AND MAY GOD BLESS ALL!". I felt greatly for the pain of his family and more for him. To live such a short happy life or would I say to die alone.

okay what I'm trying to say is I know that books inspired movies don't always turn out the way everyone expects them to be after reading the books like Duh Harry Potter. But Freedom Writers and Into the Wild is as good as it gets.

No comments: